Friday, November 9, 2012

Shabazz Muhammad Ruled Ineligible to Play At UCLA


Some bad news for the UCLA Bruins who are opening up their season tonight against Indiana St. at the new Pauley Pavilion. UCLA will most likely appeal this ruling to try and get Muhammad on the court this season.

ESPN LA reports:
UCLA freshman Shabazz Muhammad has been declared ineligible to participate, UCLA announced before its season opener Friday night at Pauley Pavilion. 
Muhammad, the national high school player of the year last year, was found to have violated NCAA amateurism rules after a lengthy investigation. 
"In addition to other pending issues, Muhammad accepted travel and lodging during three unofficial visits to two NCAA member schools," the NCAA said in a statement.
The school, which will appeal the decision, said the NCAA did not specify a number of games Muhammad has to sit out. 
"The NCAA has finally determined that a violation of the NCAA amateurism rules has occurred involving UCLA freshman guard Shabazz Muhammad and his family," the school said in a statement. "As a result, he is ineligible for competition at this time. We are extremely disappointed that the NCAA has made this determination. 
"The University and our compliance staff have fully cooperated with the NCAA throughout this entire period, and we believe the decision is incorrect and unjust to Shabazz. UCLA will expeditiously pursue its options to challenge this determination. When a final resolution has been reached by the NCAA, we will swiftly communicate the news to the entire Bruin family."
Follow us on Twitter @LA_Inspiration

No comments:

Post a Comment